Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2020)
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 12:28   #750
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I really wasn't - I assumed you knew what you were talking about when you used the 50% figure, which was certainly news to me.

I haven't twisted anything.

You said at least 50% of pensioners ars using only linear TV. Well, what other kind of TV is there then? If at least 50% are still on linear, then it follows that up to 50% also use VOD. How is that twisting anything? It is simply the other side of your own equation.

On your first points, only the more affluent were able to afford to have a telephone back in the 1960s. However, by the 1980s, practically everyone had one.

Similarly, I expect that practically everyone will have access to broadband in time. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a future government might pay for basic broadband speeds for the pensioners, just as they have been paying for the over 75s for their TV licences. Broadband will be considered an essential thing for every household to have before much longer.

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 ----------

Agreed, Max. Anyone without broadband in the future will be invisible and practically unable to function in our increasingly digital world.

---------- Post added at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

But, with your pensionable status looming, are you seriously thinking of giving up your broadband? Of course not. Any government handouts, if they come, will be based on need, or it would cost a fortune.

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

Any subsidy would be likely to be based on basic broadband for streamingt, not high speed broadband, surely.

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Except that you only need one subscription at a time. And you can change to a different provider whenever you like. Cheaper than the licence fee.
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV, Apple TV, ITV Hub+, Britbox, All4(no ads), Acorn TV, Disney+, and others. They are the content providers. Not much in the way of interchangeability there.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote