Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2020)
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 09:00   #747
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You are missing the point, it doesn't matter that broadband speeds are to be increased across the country - if you cannot afford what is currently on offer how are you going to afford a higher speed which will come at a higher cost?

This is not going to change in the next 20-30 years unless broadband is treated as a right similar to water. Or are you expecting super fast broadband to be free to all?

I said at least 50% pensioners are only using linear TV - as I didn't want to put a figure on it and have the likes of you dispute it.

Doesn't equate to 50% using VOD which you are surprised at by your own admission. Please don't twist my words to suit your argument.
I really wasn't - I assumed you knew what you were talking about when you used the 50% figure, which was certainly news to me.

I haven't twisted anything.

You said at least 50% of pensioners ars using only linear TV. Well, what other kind of TV is there then? If at least 50% are still on linear, then it follows that up to 50% also use VOD. How is that twisting anything? It is simply the other side of your own equation.

On your first points, only the more affluent were able to afford to have a telephone back in the 1960s. However, by the 1980s, practically everyone had one.

Similarly, I expect that practically everyone will have access to broadband in time. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a future government might pay for basic broadband speeds for the pensioners, just as they have been paying for the over 75s for their TV licences. Broadband will be considered an essential thing for every household to have before much longer.

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
My thoughts on this are that when BB becomes available to every household we may well see the likes of pensioners, and people on low incomes, being given discounts or maybe even free to those who cannot afford it.
Agreed, Max. Anyone without broadband in the future will be invisible and practically unable to function in our increasingly digital world.

---------- Post added at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Quote:
Really?

As someone on a below average wage and soon to be retired, I sincerely hope you are correct - however I cannot see this happening in the foreseeable future, nice as it would be.

Do you think the same might apply to gas & electric, which after all are basic essentials?
But, with your pensionable status looming, are you seriously thinking of giving up your broadband? Of course not. Any government handouts, if they come, will be based on need, or it would cost a fortune.

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

Quote:
Yes, you can get help with electric and gas bills but your income needs to be well below a living wage to get them.

As for broadband, it is an on-going monthly cost not a one-off as suggested.

I cannot see any government paying for high speed broadband for all on a long term basis.
Any subsidy would be likely to be based on basic broadband for streamingt, not high speed broadband, surely.

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The fragmentation of provision of content is just getting silly, even if people are able to afford the multiple subscriptions involved.
Except that you only need one subscription at a time. And you can change to a different provider whenever you like. Cheaper than the licence fee.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 06-06-2020 at 09:05.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote