Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 18:58   #1268
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nice try - but from your question it sounds like you don’t understand how the proposal, revision and acceptance of EU law actually works.

The Commission proposes and develops legislation. The Parliament must be consulted and may propose amendments (which the Commission does not have to accept). The Parliament must consent to the final formulation and may withhold that consent (but in practice, does not), and the Council of Ministers takes the final decision on whether to enact. In the Council, we have one elected representative out of 28 and an ever-shrinking number of areas in which they can exercise a veto.

That’s the process which I’m pretty sure you didn’t previously understand ..no need to thank me.

And I stand by my claim that the pretend parliament is more or less an irrelevance in the overall process.
No, but I will. Not a lot of people seem to appreciate that the EU is really not democratic at all.

The only way to have any influence at all is to elect disruptive MEPs. If we end up having to participate in more EU elections, all leavers should vote UKIP. Maybe that will get the message across, and there would be no adverse implications as there would be if we elected UKIP MPs.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And the reason most stuff gets passed is that it’s done by consensus, discussing and agreeing things first, rather than the adversarial system we have that leads to the farrago we have with Brexit.
It would look a lot worse than that if you took off your rose-tinted spectacles, Hugh.

I mean - democratic? No way. No more so than in a Communist society, where elections mean nowt.