View Single Post
Old 15-08-2018, 20:23   #47
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future
Re: 2018 price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
Huh...I never knew.

Must be rather coincidental that they keep offering cut price programing that they own the rights to though that may also be as my husband has been a customer for like 13 years now.

Thanks for the info - certainly explains how VM break even.

If Sky wanted to be cruel I suppose that they could just refuse to sell the rights of their network? They would lose the money they earn from VM though.

(Are you sure that they are prevented from doing so when it is not a case of hardware though? To provide the service for phone and broadband, Sky and others have to use BT's firm / hardware. It is not the same for Virgin as Sky has no monopoly at all).
Sky is considered to have a monopoly on sports rights and is subject to regs by Ofcom because of it. It's why when the Sky basics dispute happened over 10 years ago they pulled all their channels apart from sports and movies.

Don't quote me on it, but even though Sky is definitely forced to provide sports at a certain price point, I don't think there's anything stopping them beating VM prices of their own sports portfolio.
I'm not sure if they're regulated on movies anymore or not because there are other options like Netflix which didn't exist when the dispute happened.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote