View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 10:05   #23
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Glad I don't live in the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From my previous link

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

That’s your implication, not (necessarily*) his.

I read from it that it was to be produced at low/reasonable profit margin - differing views provide different implications.

My brother-in-law currently works as a research VP for a US biosimilar company, and has been on medical drugs research for nearly 40 years (including over 20 years as a research Director/VP at Pfizer and Teva, two of the biggest drugs companies in the world), and he said that Insulin is used by the 3 drug companies as a cash cow, as the manufacturing costs haven’t risen that much in the last 20 years, but the market price has increased by 8-10 times the original price in 2000.

(*I’m not a mind reader, so it’s only my interpretation of his interpretation...)
Interestingly, insulin is not regarded as a biological, along with human growth hormone under the Public Health Service Act in the US even though technically, they are. Because of this, the biosimilar abbreviated approval process cannot apply for insulin which means that a pharma company has to go through the whole drugs approval process including clinical trials etc.

This is hoped to change in 2020. Here's the FDAs position - https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsr.../ucm628121.htm
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote