View Single Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:34   #1364
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: the quote in post #1354

Whether or not any data are stored in the UK is irrelevant to the privacy issue - it's the snooping that takes place in the UK, and that - plus the fact that it's being done by our own ISPs - is what we're objecting to. Phorm can't wriggle out of the legal issues with that tactic, and neither can the ISPs. What they're planning to do is illegal, it's already been shown to be open to possible abuse, it sets a very dangerous precedent, and it gives our government a possible reason/excuse to take control of virtually the only aspect of people's lives that they do not, as yet, control, viz. our online affairs. It's the thin end of the wedge.

It must not be permitted to happen, and as far as I can see we the ISP customers are the only ones who can, or are even willing to, stop it - by voting with our feet. It occurs to me that other ISPs might use their non-involvement with Phorm as a selling point...and a damn good one at that. As Tim said, people don't use the Internet to see ads. For hell's sake, we see enough ads everywhere else! I for one don't pay attention to any advertising; if I'm interested in a product I'll consult friends & relatives who might already own it, or read online reviews (Amazon, usually), or just decide off my own bat. Nowhere in that process do I require ads of any sort. The few ads that filter through Firefox I simply ignore - I don't need targeted advertising, and I stated as much in the DPA letter I sent to Virgin.

I am also sick and tired of being told by governments, advertisers and, if this goes live, ISPs what I want. I will decide that, thank you very much!