View Single Post
Old 24-05-2020, 13:41   #1365
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Obviously, the live events will be scheduled as this is the nature of a live show, and these events will be streamed over the internet. All pre-recorded material such as drama, lifestyle, documentaries, etc will be viewed from the on-line on demand library, Netflix-style.

As you say repeatedly, it's still TV, but the difference is the delivery method and the ease of being able to choose what you want to watch, when you want to watch it, free of advertisements if you so desire.

Yes, I understand also that some are just happy to stick with the old channel system, but I believe that habits are gradually changing and in time the vast majority will embrace it.

There will always be stick-in-the-muds who won't budge until they have to, but I really don't believe that companies will bother with a minority who are resistent to change.

If you had your way, I'm sure we would still have telegraph messenging, even though this was used more rarely before the systems were scrapped. It's the same logic as you are using here. Change will come, and your general response that it is popular now is not relevant to how it will be seen in the next decade.

Sadly, I cannot evidence what has not yet happened, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. Twenty years ago we did not even have on demand services - look at it now!
Ah today’s straw man. None of this is my preference, it’s my prediction based on observable reality and economics.

As you say, twenty years ago we didn’t have “on demand”. And in twenty years, despite the depth and breadth of content on it, people still watch live linear television. As with Sky+ and other PVR products. You still haven’t sold me on what streaming offers has that on demand and a PVR doesn’t in terms of convenience to the average end user who has thus far resisted or relied on a mix of live, timeshifted and on demand.

I’ve said a million times I have three streaming services (now four actually I’ve got 6 months free Apple TV+).

This isn’t about what I wan’t - if it was up to me we’d have nationalised the cable network and extended build in the 90s to deliver TV and broadband services that way with minimal satellite and terrestrial offerings. That way we’d have then had a genuinely future proof national network then rather than be finding £5bn in state intervention to plug the gaps the commercial networks won’t reach by 2025. However I digress...