View Single Post
Old 15-03-2021, 15:42   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Fed up with Amazon prime phone calls

On a related note, there's a new O2 scam going around (they just tried it with me).

How it works is this -

They (the fraudsters) ring you, and say you have been selected for a 40% reduction in your tariff - to access this, they will send you two text messages, and you should tell them the code from the second text message, which is how they validate you are the account holder.

What in fact is happening, is that they have tried to get into your account, and because of whatever they do, it causes O2 to send you two text messages.

1st one says
Quote:
*FRAUD ALERT - MUST READ
Has someone called ou and asked for a code? Hang up, they do not work for O2 and are trying to commit fraud on your O2 account. Never give a one time code to anyone who called you. Call us on 202 if you need help. If you requeted a code yourself, we'll be texting it to you shortly
2nd text message is
Quote:
Here is your code : nnnn
Please enter this code to retrieve your O2 account. If you did not authorise this, please contact O2
I assume the fraudsters then hope you are stupid enough not to read the text messages, and just give them the code, which means they then can access your O2 account.

I reported the number to O2, and blocked it (0330 220 4417).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote