Thread: US Timeline Star Trek: Discovery
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2016, 13:54   #37
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: New Star Trek series in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Indeed, however you wonder why they bother spending a fortune on acquiring rights they then hope to recoup via subscriptions, if they're going to allow their stuff to be downloaded and then shared on a YouTube clone that requires absolutely no cunning or lawbreaking to access.
They don't... They actually work quite hard to prevent it (at least from a technical point of view), but, no security system is perfect. Even the best protection systems have flaws, and with any security changes, it's only a matter of time before the system is broken again.

The problem, from a security point of view, with sites such as Youtube is that these sites carry far to much media to be properly vetted by Humans, and while Google does have (apparently very effective) systems for blocking copyright infringement, they are not perfect.

That said, I don't think Google actually do as much as they can (bear in mind they profit from any ads on the pirated videos, so it's not really in their interest to do too much). When I went into hospital last year, Youtube was only available in what they call "Restricted" mode. I was unable to watch ANY copyrighted videos, and searches for any TV series or movie names usually only returned videos of people talking about those TV series or movies, no video from the movie or TV series. This was annoying,as I was trying to watch Space 1999, which isn't on Netflix or Prime Video (so I couldn't have watched it legally).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote