View Single Post
Old 28-08-2018, 23:29   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: SH3 and Ethernet Switch

you can think of ports on switches as like daisy chaining extension leads. You can leave whatever you have currently got connected as is and just disconnect one cable and attach the switch instead and all ports are equal. I don't want to sound too harsh because it is good that you have asked the questions that you have however the fact that you have asked them shows that you know very little about how switches work which means you don't need a managed switch. I know a lot about managed switches and I can assure you you don't need one so don't waste your time reading up on them and trying to choose one. Something like either of the links below will be good depending how many ports you think you are going to need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-SE2...+8+port+switch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-LGS...managed+switch

I would recommend starting off with an 8 port switch (or even a 5) and if you need more ports buy a another switch and connect to a different port on the shub. You have got to remember that each switch is only going to have one 1gbit link to the shub so if you got something like the 16 port switch for convenience and had a tonne of devices using the one switch, they have all got to share that one link to the shub. If in contrast you had four 5 port switches connected to the shub, one on each of the shubs ports, the same load is now balanced across 4 independent links and running at 4gbits instead of 1. This is what I do with my Asus router, I have got cables coming off running to other switches and routers in different rooms of the house and downstairs and it allows me to effectively scale my network.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote