View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 20:22   #169
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
As Carers of our own handicapped twins (now young adults), My wife and I are very, very grateful for the Benefits we receive to allow us to continue our roles.

We aren't rolling in money, but make do and pay our bills. A short period of respite would be a nice gesture, but it has never happened in over 21 years, so we're not holding our breath.

I have often received verbal bashings from both working and unemployed people, thinking that being a full time Carer is somehow a "skive" or a "cushy life". Sadly, or poignantly, several have had to become Carers for members of their own family, and now see us in a totally different light.

I suppose it would be the same with workers who slag off unemployed people, then become one themselves.

Despite the REAL inflation rates, I reckon many in our position would have accepted a 0% rise in benefits if it meant getting this country out of the mess it's in financially.

But looking at IDS's future plans for the "less" disabled, I fear we may be in for a rough ride ahead when the axe falls soon with PIP coming in to replace DLA. The ATOS assessments were hell enough, but I think IDS has further nasty surprises for us at the bottom of the pile.
Well there are always ignorant people who make judgements based on very little but I reckon most people here, myself included, reckon you're doing as much as anyone could reasonably expect. Credit to you for that!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote