View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 17:54   #738
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
Yeah the Phorm PR boys are doing the rounds on most of the tech sites. Most of the replies they give contain generic answers that have been cut n paste from other replies given elsewhere. A simple damage limitation exercise imo.

Now, lets just recap,
A member of the Phorm tech team came on this board yesterday and categorically stated that “If you are not part of the system ie opted out no data will be processed by phorm. I really hope that's clear.”
Clear indeed, although deliberately misleading. Why? Well because although no data is processed, it does still pass through Phorm (as I suspected all along).

Consider this quote here from their CEO Kent Ertegrul - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rul/page3.html

So there you have it, data is still mirrored onto a profiler, opting out is irrelevant as to whether data passes though the Phorm system, as clearly it does, no matter what. There is no real opt out other than switching to a Phorm-Free ISP.

In that same interview Kent Ertegrul keeps banging on about how bad google is, but see thing is, I can choose not to use google if I so want. With Phorm there is no REAL choice. Data still passes through the Phorm system.

I’m more angry now after reading that interview than I was before.
this was quote from someone on a rival forum on this interview.

Quote:
So, the long term goal of Phorm is Net Neutrality. It is well know that some would like to see the internet controlled somehow, companies such as Phorm using their technology can take this process forward.
Websites and users not opted-in to Phorm will have their connection throttled by the ISP, those that opt-in will not, in the end, only those websites that opt-in will manage to survive, of course you will have to adhere to their polices, which could mean no criticism of Governments/Companies ect.. which have signed up to Phorm.
I have said myself there is an hidden interior agenda we know the government hitting hard on certain internet activities. You really can see where this could easily go to what this poster says.

While in certain cases its a very good idea to police activity its the worry where it will all end. Ultimately it treats everyone as guilty and treads on or civil liberties.