View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 13:30   #14
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: I've heard some stupid questions, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Reminds me a bit of when I put petrol in my car a few years back and for whatever reason my debit card was declined. There was more than enough money in my account but the transaction kept being declined, I tried it about 5 or 6 times.

After the final attempt I said to the assistant that I was sorry but for whatever reason my card wasn’t working and I didn’t know how to pay for my petrol.

The assistant then said “do you have any other means to pay?”.

Erm….if I had then why would I be trying my card over and over again?? Wouldn’t I have tried that “other means” as soon as I was having problems with my card??
Yes, and that situation is also immediately complicated by the fact you're paying after filling your car up with what £60 odd of petrol and then can't pay for it.

I think that if you have made a reasonable attempt to pay you're not stealing even if you drive off without technically paying (with presumably some mechanism of making payment later) especially in your case when you had a working card and money in the account but presumably due to a system fault it wasn't registering. (If you knew you didn't have funds or went with a known broken card it would be different)>

In the original situation it's hard to suggest what else you could do though, assuming that it's not allowed for various reasons to have personal wallets, keys, phone etc whilst working, they should then provide secure storage as it can't always be avoided taking these into work, as they'd be required to get home and pay for travel etc. If this is breached or not provided then surely the employer should be responsible for this (even if they try not to be) as you have to get into work and they don't allow you to keep the items on you.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote