View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 16:27   #3965
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I wonder if the Tories will look to change the rules in future so that leadership elections whilst in Government are limited to the Parliamentary Party. This summer of having the candidates appeal to this very narrow, very unrepresentative, electorate has had a few damaging moments for them.

I think limiting it to the MPs only would be quicker and you can argue they have a wider mandate given they represent a lot more people. They are the MPs the wider public elected into Government, they can claim to therefore have more right to choose who the PM is than a bunch of randoms.
Here's the problem as I see it.

The MPs bet according to their best chances of advancement.

As you can see, when it comes down to the final two, the nodding dogs are split roughly 50/50 according to their bet and thus their hopes for office,

Those nodding dogs, mostly, are the ones who have run the country so badly under both May and Johnson.

The wider membership are not impressed with Sunak for reason already discussed; they're not impressed with Truss, particularly because she came promoted a barmy idea to cut the wages of regional people notwithstanding the levelling up plan. She then said she's honest, will tell the truth and then weasel worded her answers to the hard questions that Kay Burley put to her.

I'm so disappointed that the outsiders never made it to the cut. I might even have to vote for Truss so that Sunak doesn't slide in under ther "none of the above" trap.

My advice is at your risk.