View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 17:43   #6257
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Oh the fun paying of our mortgage.

Mortgage - Natwest
Savings - Natwest
Current - Natwest.

Got a redemption statement to clear mortgage. That was the easiest bit.

Can we set up payment to move money from savings to mortgage in advance so payment just happens? Nope

Can we set up payment on day in question? Nope - bank holiday. Can't pay early as in deal and get hit with huge early payment charge.

Can we pay direct from savings account? Nope need to move to current account first.

Can we then pay using online banking - nope, amount exceeds allowed limits for transaction. So we pay off the oddments on the statement, then try to pay the remaining in chunks - nope - it's a daily limit in total.

Phone up and I get some guy who tries to add hundreds of pounds of interest to payment despite the redemption already covering interest to date ask for.

Eventually my wife gets through - first to the security team to remove the limit on transfers, then to an operator more clued in who puts through the rest of the amount.

Now checking accounts the big amount has cleared OK but the oddments are taken from current but not applied to mortgage. Another call and it's all fine.

I know the banks need to have checks and so forth but why so hard to pay off mortgage where moneys are in same bank? I'd have hoped we could simply asked them to up the Jan DD amount to take the balance, yes we'd still have to move money to current account but that bit was OK.
I had a similar problem with santander,i had retired from my job and thought i would pay off the mortgage [a year or so early] they tried to hit me with an early payement fee which doubled the amount i owed,it was clear they had no intention of letting me pay it off early without a large amount of financial pain, i decided to just carry on with the regular payements,when i paid off the mortgage the final payement should have been twenty something pounds to clear up the remaining debt but they still took a full months mortgage payement and i had to claim back my own money.

Last edited by papa smurf; 06-01-2020 at 18:36.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote