View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 02:13   #12
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Is Malone Planning To Launch A Premium Pay TV Channel On Liberty's Cable Networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Reading between the lines there mate.
I think things are becoming even more obvious with the latest news.

In the US, it was announced today that Charter Communications, which is part owned by John Malone's Liberty Media, is to buy Bright House House Networks to form the second largest cableco in the US.

Bright House's largest shareholders are another media mogul family called the Newhouse's who own Advance Publications, they also own a large chunk of Discovery along with Malone. Almost seems they're working in tandem with each other...

I think things are becoming clear:

Malone has bought loads of cablecos in Europe to become the world's largest cableco.

He is buying up cablecos in America again. He once owned the largest cableco there and he is recreating his empire again.

He has bought loads of tv production companies/assets.

I reckon he is going to recreate in America the same sort of situation that we have here in the UK with quad play operators all offering tv, phone, broadband and mobile. I doubt there will be more than 4-5 companies once all the mergers are done.

I believe he intends to create one massive cableco in America and if he's not allowed to that, he'll settle for two. He'll then merge that with one of the 4 big mobile companies over there.

Next, he'll buy more tv companies such as AMC (makers of Breaking bad) and Scripps (who do the Food Network) and merge that with his existing portfolio of Discovery, QVC, ITV (should he fully buy it) and his other stuff like the Starz and Lionsgate companies.

Finally, he'll merge his US cable/media company with Liberty Global creating a gigantic worldwide media/telecoms company all under one name. Perhaps it'll stay as a separate company or perhaps he'll see if someone like Viacom or Time Warner want to buy it. It depends whether he can merge his US cableco with Comcast or not.

Who said retirement is boring!

You heard it here first.