View Single Post
Old 17-07-2019, 19:59   #760
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Who said I wuz intelligent?

I am afraid I have a different perspective on this. Choosing the leader of our country has, in some ways, more significance that voting for your MP.

You might have one candidate who is proposing a significant change in the future direction of the country. You totally want the appropriate people to validate this decision.

If the Tories think you cannot vote for your MP at 15 then they should certainly not be able to decide the person who will make the most important policy decision for a generation or more.
Your logic is faulty because you’re still using lazy tabloid shorthand rather than acknowledging constitutional reality.

Party members don’t choose prime ministers. Not ever. There is a whole process following the leadership election, requiring the advice of the sitting PM, the confidence of the Commons and the assent of the Monarch. Most often the elected leader becomes leader of the opposition anyway.

We don’t elect a leader, we elect a representative (not a deputy or delegate) who is charged with using their best judgment on our behalf for the following five years, etc etc etc etc