View Single Post
Old 28-11-2019, 16:08   #1158
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy shifting the goalposts again. We will have linear television after all, just perhaps not over Digital Terrestrial, and maybe not 2030 as mentioned in a seven year old speculative OFCOM document.
No goalposts have been moved, I've been saying the same thing for years now.

It is patently absurd to say there will be no live TV because news and sport is always live. What I have been saying all this time is that scheduled TV channels will most likely have closed down by 2035 and these will be replaced by video on demand and streaming.

A different method of broadcasting, yes, but also a very different experience for the viewer.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Pretty much as some of us have been saying all along ... any TV that is broadcast to a schedule is linear, regardless of whether it’s made available by terrestrial, satellite, cable or over IP.

The nature of some forms of TV, such as live sport and rolling news, is such that there will always, always be linear TV. The fact that even on streaming platforms, some big-ticket items are released according to a weekly schedule shows that even the streamers understand there is a role for controlled release of new entertainment content.
I do not disagree with any of that. But the scheduled TV channels as we know them now almost certainly will not exist with IPTV. That is all I am saying.