View Single Post
Old 24-10-2019, 20:57   #1140
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have been reporting on a lot of depressing news about the likely fate of the linear channels over the last four years, but here is a glimmer of light for those who cannot imagine life without them.

I have been struck by how few new dramas are now finding their way to the TV channels, and next week's TV & Satellite Week appears to confirm the decline of our conventional channels. No new dramas starting at all next week apart from a new series of Arrow on Sky One, whereas just three years ago, there were always lots of new good drama series commencing every week at this time of year...

<other stuff>
Passive-aggressive much?

On your other point about new material on broadcast TV, reality does not coincide with your view...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...n-of-streamers
Quote:
traditional broadcasters show more than 100 times more original, UK-made shows than overseas streaming giants
They delivered more than 32,000 hours of original, homegrown productions across their channels in 2018, which was around 125 times more than was shown on paid streaming services (221 hours). The vast majority of programmes available on streaming platforms are US-made productions, created to play out in multiple countries.

Lots of quotes in there about the growth of streaming, but broadcast TV has lots of life in the old dog yet, as traditional channels still form 70% of TV time, and the five main public service broadcasters’ channels held their share of viewing – at 52% in 2018 compared to 51% in 2017.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.