View Single Post
Old 13-10-2019, 02:45   #2394
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The Government, and only the Government are responsible for the primary legislation that enacts benefits and the secondary legislation that underpins qualification criteria. To describe those legitimately entitled, made to jump through hoops, as if they are somehow collateral damage is quite insulting. The rules aren't being "rigidly applied" if they are getting overturned 70% of the time at tribunal - they're being incorrectly applied.

Getting decisions right first time saves money in the long run.

There's plenty of tax avoidance/evasion and I see little effort to close the loopholes and cause difficulties for those gaming the system at the other end.

I see the "hard working families" have been invoked. Many of the benefit claimants were hard working taxpayers before their circumstances changed. Which is the whole point of a social security system.

Of course an arch-capitalist like yourself would probably prefer to see an American system of welfare.
What an incredibly naive post. Readers will make of that nonsense what they will.

Clearly, you do not care how many people are deliberately abusing the system.

---------- Post added at 02:45 ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I believe the rigidness isn't down to fraud but just cost cutting. The actual fraud rate for sickness benefits are really low. It is now down to evidence and the medical which can't be easy to defraud.

I have to agree with jfman, you seem to bare a grudge when it comes to benefits just because you don't need it. I'm sure all your opinions would change if you did need it at some point.
I have never said that. What I believe is that the system should be managed appropriately so that those who are meant to receive the benefit actually get it. If there are faults in the system, these need to be addressed.

You may not care if fraudsters get the benefit, but this is my money, and I do care. The system needs checks. Too many people who should not be receiving taxpayers' money are getting it. Are you saying that we should ignore this? Incredible!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote