View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 18:35   #4056
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’ve lived in Scotland more than half my adult life and never once experienced anti-English sentiment, even from those I know to be raving nats. . I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but that it’s overstated. Scottish nationalism is largely fuelled by a bizarre kind of deluded exceptionalism that has created a narrative in which Scotland has, amongst other things, never really been the home territory of an empire, and is somehow untainted by things the British empire did, like profit from slavery and tobacco plantations; and somehow had nothing to do with the British political system. It’s all English, and Scotland has always been an unwilling, or at best reluctant, passenger.

It’s nonsense of course - everything recognisable about our government and politics, even our entire concept of what a nation state is, was forged after the union, through the 18th and 19th centuries (as it was everywhere in Europe). Sit and listen to a Holyrood parliament debate with your eyes shut and you hear exactly the same British political debate being conducted as you do in Westminster.

Scottish nationalism is all about living in denial about Scotland’s fundamental connection to Britain and Britishness, while idolising an approved, sanitised version of Scotland’s cultural distinctiveness.
Well said sir.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote