View Single Post
Old 15-03-2019, 11:27   #678
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Den OB has a very simplified way of looking at most business things.

It usually goes something like Company A has far more money than company B and could blow them out the water end of.
Exactly. Which is why Rupert Murdoch sold most of his global media empire that he had spent his entire life building, simply for that reason.

I think many people here don't realise what an inflection point that was and what it means for the future, a future dominated by streaming and the tech giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
ESPN owned by Disney had far greater resources than both Sky and BT but retreated from the UK Sports market.
As you would know, streaming wasn't around then and Disney had no way to monetise their investment if they did make a bid for rights. Sky not only had the money to compete against them, but the distribution network too.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l am talking in particular about the UK Premier League football TV rights as they are not going to pay £5 billion just for just one countries football rights as it makes no business sense to them at all and never has done wherever with the Lord of the Rings series they are likely to get their money back again and again through the many monetary avenues that are open to them.
I've haven't got a lot of time to look into all of this at the moment, but even after a quick one minute google search, one of the ways, beyond subscription fees (which worked for Sky and BT) to monetise the UK rights is via advertising. Not just the normal kind either, but the kind that lets you link straight into somebody's website to buy stuff and of course we all know who has a rather large shopping site.

I still think Amazon or one of the other tech giants, will approach the Premier League and government and get the rules changes to allow them to make a bid for global rights as well as all UK rights.

It maybe the case they pay one price for UK rights, then another for global. Football is gaining ever increasingly popularity in China with its massive population and that's one of the things I reckon Amazon has its eye on. As well as selling numerous products via ad breaks at every opportunity into the Chinese market too.

Last edited by Horizon; 15-03-2019 at 12:11.