View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 09:07   #14
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road
Re: VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
RfoG - fibre optic cables are installed into people's homes replacing the existing coax cables (if installed) then the signals get converted using existing modems and set top boxes.

This is a cheaper method for companies using existing equipment, but still requires lots of street cabinets and heavy maintenance costs.

Xpon - fibre cables are also installed straight into people's homes, but the signal does not get converted and new modems and boxes are needed to deal with the "pure" fibre optic signal coming in.

All new consumer equipment is needed, so is expensive to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run for companies as far less street cabinets are needed thus saving heaps on maintenance costs.

Or something like that.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I disagree the exact same amount of street cabs are needed for both fibre types
There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path.

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote