Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 22:16   #7316
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The assertion that Theresa May's deal traps us in a Customs Union indefinitely is false. That is the point I am making.
It doesn’t automatically trap us in a customs union forever, but if the backstop as currently conceived is triggered, it does trap us in one until the EU agrees we can leave. Unlike Article 50, under which we have the right to walk away, the backstop within the withdrawal agreement surrenders that right. Given the many things various EU members might want to extract concessions over - fishing access, Gibraltar, to name but two - it is intolerable for us to allow ourselves to be trapped in such a way. The backstop is such an insane idea that I have trouble believing May ever believed it would get past Parliament. In fact I find it easier to believe that she brought it back so that parliament could reject it and (hopefully) strengthen her hand to gain a better deal from the EU.