View Single Post
Old 23-03-2008, 15:31   #1668
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrebmit View Post
The profiling equipment wouldn't be able to scan the encrypted web pages, but what else they learn does depend on what and how much of our IP data is going to be routed into the profiling kit. If the IP headers are not altered by our ISP before they reach the profiling equipment, then the profiler will know what web site we surf to, if it were a bank then they can guess who we bank with.

Phorm have claimed that will not know about IP addresses, but it seems they won't give straight answers about what their profiling equipment can see, and prefer to twist the answer by mentioning Webwise rather than the profiling equipment.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Stuart C, good observation, and hardly surprising given that they made some of their money from spyware - can a leopard really change its spots?
Not only wont they give straight answers about the profiler but they have yet to give us any kind of answers as to what kind of information may be stored in these "research and debug logs" that they store for 14 days. This despite swearing they store no personally identifiable information.

Do we all remember what happened when AOL researchers released (accidentally? - yeah more like deliberately) supposedly anonymised search terms of over 600,000 people and it only took researchers hours to track people down and show them a list of the search terms they had used?

Until I know what will be stored in these "research and debug logs" - and lets remember the word "research" has some wide connotations - then I will not accept Phorms claim that they store no personally identifiable information.

Add to that the fact that they, along with Virgin Media, still refuse to give cast-iron answers to simple technological questions and seek to obfuscate the debate with phrases such as "if you opt-out your internet experience will remain the same" and the writing is on the wall.

Oh I cant wait for the stock market to reopen on tuesday so that I can get back to my new favourite past time of watching their share price collapse further.