Thread: Sky Glass TV
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 21:30   #43
andreww342003
cf.member

Services: BT Youview, Humax Freesat
andreww342003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky Glass TV

Sky did previously release their own branded TV's back around 2003, they were simply cheap TV's with the Sky branding and only available from SkyBuy, Sky's interactive shop that was only available to Sky Digital. Those TVs could work with any provider, and I would be very surprised if this Sky Glass did not come with external HDMI for customers to connect their consoles or Blu-ray players, unless they intend to introduce some sort of Xbox Cloud or PlayStation Now app for that.

There were also Sky IDTV's from Panasonic and LG, the former also featured a Freeview tuner which Sky later abandoned, since these sets fell behind software upgrade releases. These TV's had built in internal Digibox's to compete with the ONdigital integrated TVs.

To be honest the lack of Sky Q support or any sort of satellite dish connectivity puts me off this, I don't like having everything going through one wire since if that fails your left with nothing, and I doubt this TV would be friendly to mobile data plans.
At least with Virgin the TV is somewhat separate from the broadband so if that goes down you can continue to watch the linear or recorded channels, just with no ondemand access. But with BT/TalkTalk TV since everything subscription related goes though the internet, your left with nothing but the Freeview channels. And there's the issue when trying to download a Steam game and watch a subscription channel at the same time, the TV service starts to break up since it cant handle the multicast channels whilst downloading, so I have to cap the Stream download to about 1 Mbps.
Basically we are not ready for IPTV just yet, at least for HD or 4K.

Last edited by andreww342003; 10-10-2021 at 21:33. Reason: Corrections
andreww342003 is offline   Reply With Quote