Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2022, 09:54   #1461
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
In the interests of completeness, here are the deaths purely from COVID. About 17,000 in England & Wales.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/trans...ingcauses?s=09
That links to a little goldmine of data (here) In the notes of the spreadsheet, it does note that the deaths recorded are deaths due to COVID, not deaths with COVID. COVID needs to be specifically noted on the death certificate as a cause of death and there is a very formal definition of this (WHO guidelines) There can of course be multiple causes of death.

Looking at the proportion of deaths with pre-existing conditions, before vaccines, it was 12.8% and in Q3 2021, it was 17.4% which surprised me as I would have guessed that COVID would be more likely to pick off the already sick. It would be interesting to see the rates of those without pre-existing conditions who were not vaccinated, those who say they are fit and healthy and therefore don't need a vaccine.

Personally, I am quite uncomfortable with people saying COVID is only killing people with underlying conditions and that's OK. It either labels those with those conditions as 'weak' or somehow deserving or irrelevant. Many of the underlying conditions are not a death sentence in themselves and are quite manageable. In the top 20 pre-existing conditions are diabetes, hypertension, cardiac arrythmias, musculoskeletal disorders and obesity. All of these can be treated or managed - those people weren't necessarily going to die anyway
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote