View Single Post
Old 20-01-2022, 18:09   #10765
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
At the time EPL took that decision there was a great deal of uncertainty due to Covid.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - I would imagine they also took into account the fact BT were pulling back from buying rights.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

3 years is the standard term for EPL rights in UK
I did caveat my post with a big “unless”

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I would have favoured extending them for a couple of years max to get more clarity during the fog of Covid but three years seems a bit excessive.
If there were realistically “big pockets” streamers out there, yes. But if not…

If there were concerns about bidding at the same time as other rights a one year rollover and a five year auction to get back “on track” for 3 year auctions would have been interesting. Five years takes away the problem Setanta and ESPN had of quickly having the rug pulled from under them by Sky and BT before relatively establishing their business model. Something that no doubt puts any prospective bidders off.

DAZN might just hand BT 530 million reasons proving my point.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote