View Single Post
Old 28-11-2020, 02:27   #239
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
The 360 doesn't have Quick View (not something I used on the V6 - didn't like watching things at the wrong speed!!).

SkyQ certainly had series links when we had it though (unless you mean just for radio??). I've never recorded radio on any platform so I couldn't tell you if it series linked radio or not.

As for All4 and My5 - the apps are missing but most of the catch up content is there (you can access it on most channels by scrolling back in the EPG or going to catch up and selecting All4/My5 from the drop down).

That's one more thing that I forgot to mention about the 360 - a lot (but not yet all) channels allow you to catch up simply by scrolling back in the EPG. For example if you miss the news on Channel 4 (or Bake Off or whatever) you can simply scroll back and select the programme and it will play from the begining (solves the issue on most channels of a programme not buffering on the disc whilst watching a recording) - you can then scroll through/pause/rewind etc. as normal. Channel 4 catch up is also in HD (All4 was only SD IIRC). You can scroll back for about a month dependent on the channel. The BBC is the exception in that scrolling back and selecting pushes you to iPlayer.

Also the icons instead of text - the icons are pretty big. We've had no issues telling what the channels are!

As for SKyQ - it has its own idiosyncrasies. The one that irked me was that you could not control how 4:3 content was handled on SD channels - everything was in "stretch-o-vision" with the black bars removed (HD channels tend to be pillar boxed at source for 4:3). All the Virgin boxes (including the 360) allow you the option of pillar boxing and keeping the aspect ratio correct or stretching to fill the screen.

However, at the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice and what system fits your needs better. As I said in my previous post, no current platform is "better" than another, they're just different and suit different people with different needs. You just need to choose the one that's the closest match to your own particular set of requirements
Exactly right. Thanks for letting me know about Quickview, i'm definitely moving to Sky Q then, no matter what they offer me to stay as 360 isn't for me.

Does anyone know for definite when the TiVo contract with VM ends?

According to this, a new contract was signed about 3 years ago. A four year contract would be cutting it a bit fine to put everyone onto 360, so I bet it ends after five years in October 2022. My contract will end in about May 2022, so i'll have to either pay full price for five months or go to Sky five months early.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017...ews-tivo-deal/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote