View Single Post
Old 23-08-2019, 17:06   #2335
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Underinvestment that was a conscious choice of Governments that wanted to absolve itself of responsibility for it, and ignoring the value of high quality infrastructure to the economy.
Leading up to privatising nationalised industries, it was common for the Government to starve them of investment to show how much 'better' they would be in private hands.

I think that some things are better in the public sector, some the private sector and some the voluntary sector.

The railways would be better in the public sector IMO. It was one of the more complicated industries that they sold off, presumably this is why it was left until one of the last.

I used to travel regularly on the last train from Birmingham to Leeds, changing in Manchester. If the train was late, the connection in Manchester was held back. After privatisation the two seperate companies faced fines for lateness, so they didn't like to do it.

I was once completing the change and was actually shouted at to "run" and "hurry up" by the Manchester to Leeds train staff! If attempting to harass a disabled customer is supposed to be an example of improved service, come back British Rail, all is forgiven (a complaint was made and I was compensated for the humiliation).
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote