View Single Post
Old 16-01-2019, 09:22   #8905
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Well it depends on how I would access the streaming product. For example if its like netflix on the tivo it would work. But will companies like virgin really open the gates to allow such products through their boxes? We have a tivo available to run these type of apps but we've only got netflix. No amazon or other streaming services really. So either

1) the service provider is cheap and doesn't want to add the app i.e. virgin media are cheapskates
2) amazon etc don't want to create the app for closed systems etc

"ah its 5.15pm i better switch on my ps4 and then wait. click tv. wait for it to load for the sporting treat to load..."

Seems cumbersome for sport but fine for box sets of tv treats currently. Even clicking through a smart tv just sounds odd for a live sporting event. Tv- apps- scroll to provider- wait for it to load....i just want to click 501 instantly
The way I see it, the streaming services will replace TV channels. Sky, Virgin and BT ultimately will be providing packages of streaming services instead of channels. Don't forget Starzplay has also been added recently, although it has gone to the 'on demand' section rather than the apps for some reason.

There was a reason why Amazon did not appear on Virgin following initialnegotiations, but I suspect this will change now that BT have it. You can bet your bottom dollar that Sky will have this on their platform before long.

I can understand the frustration of waiting for apps to load on the old Tivo, but on the V6, you go straight in. It's not much different to having to select the channel you want when you switch on the TV.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Good to see you are now admitting that streaming will not be cheap for sports fans.

Also when you say linear systems are dying, streaming taking over, how can you watch anything through your cable/satellite provider - surely you would have discontinued your subscription?
I have never said sport will be cheap, but I do think it may well become cheaper with time.

As I said, we are most likely to have bundles of streaming services to choose from in the future, rather than bundles of channels. Liberty Global and Virgin Media have stated that they intend to be super-aggregators of content over time.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote