Thread: 200M Replacement router
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 11:58   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Replacement router

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitwori View Post
Issues are sh3 drops the WiFi signal for a minute or so a couple of times a day.
Many peeps have had that problem with the shub and the only way to fix it is to take the wifi responsibility away from the shub (and preferably routing as a whole) and give it to another device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitwori View Post
So if I was to get one of those routers how would it work with my wireless AP as that is only 2.4 mhz?
the new router would transmit on 5ghz and 2.4ghz and (i.e. supporting wireless ac, n and g). If you set the same ssid and password on your router and your wireless access point, as you move around the house your wireless devices should automatically switch and connect to the closest access point with the strongest signal.

More food for thought. Wifi is obviously the immediate concern and your main issue but the good thing about getting a new proper router instead of opting for extra access points or a mesh system is all the extra benefits a new router brings with it. One of the simplest but most influential features will be setting your dns servers. A silly little feature which 99.9% of people couldn't care less about but when your (VM's) dns server screws up it screws everything up and you can see a very recent thread in this section where other users have had buffering issues using multiple streaming services and their traffic being sent on weird and wonderful routes because of where VM's dns servers are sending them. If you have the option to set your own dns servers, which you do on your own proper router, then in the unlikely event that e.g. google's dns server is playing up (which I have never experienced in the many years I have been using them) then it is a 10 second job to switch to another service like opendns and not be mired and chained to VM's dns and be able to do nothing apart from wait for it to be fixed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote