Thread: Streaming Wandavision
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 15:12   #70
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Wandavision

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I think last weeks ep should have been the first episode. It would have set the story and mystery up quite nicely, given the audience peace of mind that it is grounded in the MCU and then the subsequent eps could have elaborated and built on the sitcom snippets we saw in last episode and all along we know it is going somewhere and it isn't just some cheesy sitcom.
You are far too anxious about these sorts of things.

I don’t need peace of mind that a new series is going to behave according to my narrow preconceptions. And besides - whatever Kevin Feige authorises, *is* the MCU, whether we like it or not.

This reminds me of a YouTube video I keep getting recommended called “Canon Star Trek turns up at the end of Picard” - all it appears to be is the product of impotent rage from a so-called fan who doesn’t want his universe stretched or challenged beyond the same beans-on-toast he’s been eating every day for the last 20 years. How dare they design new ships for the future elderly Picard lives in, oh, no, everything has to look exactly as it did on 13 December 2002 or else.

I’m sorry but I think the way you describe your preferred set-up for Wandavision is just so unimaginative, and panders to the worst fanboy instincts to just chuck helicopters and uniformed men in marquees at everything, plus a couple of geeks with oscilloscopes to tell us all what we’re watching every 5 minutes.

But we already know how mysteries in the MCU get tackled, so in pursuit of actually making some original television, what Marvel has actually done is to create a genuine mystery, locking us inside something we know can’t be real, because we know the characters and their history, but with little idea what’s going on beyond a few very well-placed clues that are obviously designed to promote online speculation and interest around the series.

Unlike so much other stuff that is nominally within the MCU, this show is fundamental to its development, but crucially it isn’t a film so it’s not limited to a 2.5 hour running time and each episode doesn’t have to be self-contained enough to survive the 2 year wait for the sequel. The TV format has presented Marvel with a completely new way of telling stories at the heart of the MCU and so far, they’re knocking it out of the park.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote