View Single Post
Old 29-09-2021, 09:11   #251
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Parliament to be recalled re: Taliban in Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'd be interested to know what the UK or other allies would have been able to do once the US "pulled the plug"?
There were some interesting testimonies shared recently about Afghanistan from US generals. They said that keeping just 2,500 troops on the ground would have prevented the collapse of the government.

I'm sure the UK and its remaining allies wouldn't find this a prohibitive number.
Quote:
Two top US military officials said they believed that a few thousand troops should have remained in Afghanistan and acknowledged other tactical and intelligence failings during the chaotic withdrawal of armed forces from the country.

During testimony before the Senate armed services committee on Tuesday, Mark Milley, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, and Frank McKenzie, US commander of troops in the region, both made clear their personal views were at odds with the decision President Joe Biden took to withdraw all troops by his September 11 deadline.

“My view is that 2,500 was an appropriate number to remain, and if we went below that number in fact we would probably witness a collapse in the Afghan government and in the Afghan military,” McKenzie said in testimony, in comments echoed by Milley.
https://www.ft.com/content/5c5dd811-...1-31ac4ef37b23
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote