View Single Post
Old 16-05-2008, 11:43   #6713
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post

By the time Phorm is ready for roll out, the only half way redeeming feature will have long since been made redundant by Microsoft.
From what we have been told, it seems you only "benefit" from Phorm's anti-phishing protection if you opt-in to being spied on, BUT I think Phorm itself suggested blocking webwise.net cookies if you wanted to permanently opt-out, and I think it was reported that this would be detected by their system's loop detection which would then "blacklist" your IP address for 30 minutes.

Now that would suggest to me that if you have more than one PC using your connection and webwise.net cookies were blocked by any of the users, then none would be protected while they were browsing. So Phorm Phishing protection would give the others nothing but a false sense of security.

I also wonder what happens if the IP address your ISP allocates to you when you connect had just been released by a person who blocks webwise.net cookies, disconnecting. Unless they've put some measure in place to prevent it this could result in you not being protected by Phorm's anti-phishing protection for up to 30 minutes.

If either of these scenarios could result in someone who was opted-in not being protected, then my view is Phorm's anti-phishing is not fit for the purpose and they should not advertise nor claim their service provides it. If users are told by opting-in their ISP will provide them with anti-phishing protection, they might well turn their existing (effective) anti-phishing protection off.