View Single Post
Old 29-05-2008, 21:04   #7526
Hank

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
My MP submitted a question to the Home Office and today I recieved a letter with the response.

Home Office
The Rt Hon Tony McNulty MP
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

The Information Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targetted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty
Oh boy. I feel another letter to my MP coming on...

Dear (my MP)

In a response to a question from a member of the public, The Rt Hon Tony McNulty MP, Home Office Minister of State said in written reply that the Information Commissioner "Is keeping the targeted on-line advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate."

The ICO should ensure that individuals who understand the technicalities of the implementation of any system to deliver targeted advertising are offered the opportunity to take part in such trials. Would you please check if this will be the case?

Furthermore, it is important that the ICO take actions to ensure that individuals are invited to take part who are conversant with the legalities surrounding the running of a system to deliver targeted advertising. Would you ask if this will be the case also?

I feel that this latest information does warrant further questions at a time when BT are continuing to state that they intend to run trials of a system with 10,000 selected customers. We should assume that the 10,000 will indeed be selected, and that selection will exclude the customers whom they know dislike the fact that they have already sought to deceive the public on numerous occasions.

Yours...

Or words to that effect. It will be sent out tomorrow. Of course I doubt that the ICO would do the above, but maybe they might write to the ISPs and tell them to ensure it is not so carefully selected in their own favour?

Hank