Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 07:11   #3931
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not atall. I've never said we can't survive against the big boys. My ambition extends beyond your apparent ambition of survival to optimising our position in the world both economically and politically.
Singapore is a very small country which can focus on a few things in the same way that Luxembourg does. The UK is far larger with historical industrial legacies so can't follow Singapore's route. It can either be part of a larger bloc like the EU (which helped turn the country around from being the sick man of Europe) or it can be stuck between the EU, China, etc and do its best.
I think I'm correct in saying that you claimed the larger countries would be calling the shots with trade deal negotiations (ignoring the fact that wei are one of the largest economies on the planet). Now you are saying we cannot learn from Singapore because we are too big. This betrays a very defeatist mindset and I don't buy it.

We were indeed the sick man of Europe during the 1970s. Guess who was in power at the time? Once again, Labour had brought this country to its knees.It was Maggie who came to the rescue.