View Single Post
Old 13-02-2021, 22:40   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.

I agree. Historical TV & films should be seen as social history and shouldn't be judged on what society thinks today.

The former BBC Chairman, Lord Grade, said yesterday that he didn't agree with this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...sides-culture/

It's behind a paywall, but shows enough to confirm my claim. It would be great if someone with a subscription could let us know what it says in full.

I wonder if it's a generational thing? Older people seem to have a balanced view on things like this, but the (usually young) 'woke' generation are not helping the people they claim they want to protect. Whitewashing over the terms of yesteryear does nobody any favours and it's good to show the things that were deemed acceptable in the past.

I've come across 'woke' people calling people who have been vehemently anti racist all their lives being accused of racism for the most spurious of reasons. In fact, i'd probably be accused of being a racist for using the term whitewashing!!!

Edit: Think i've found a free version by searching for this. It won't allow me to copy the link for some reason:

Exclusive: Former BBC chairman urges Ofcom not to 'take sides in culture war' by banning blackface on TV

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-02-2021 at 22:47. Reason: Added search term to view pay article.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote