View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 22:39   #2084
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

At one time, there was only two sets of benefits for everyone- Mobility Allowance and Attendance Allowance.

Then they introduced DLA for everyone under pension age. They introduced a new lower payment for people with milder disabilities (which was scrapped when PIP was introduced). At the same time they scrapped Mobility Allowance for those not already on it after pension age.

I found it very odd to take away help with mobility for those with mobility problems arising after pension age as old age is often the time that most people become disabled as the body begins to wear out.

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Seems to me that there are any number of claimants on more than average income that are draining the system of funds needed by the genuinely needy.

Something has to change so that the poorest in our society get the benefits that they actually need as opposed to those that see them as some kind of "top up" right for the luxuries in life.

How many times do I see the huge 4x4s and people carriers pull into the disabled bays at the local carvery to see the occupants leap gazelle like into the restaurant for a meal.
People often equate being disabled with problems walking. This isn't always the case, the person you saw might have had something like terminal cancer before it had really taken hold or an invisible disability like a mental health issue.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote