View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Windows Paging file question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
*Sigh* I cannot be bothered with this.
You're obviously a 'google expert' on PC's so I'll leave you to it.

JFYI, You have still shown nothing that proves you need a paging file.
Is it better to have one, generally, yes, do you need one, no, I (and many others) have actually proved that, practically.
I'm sorry, I quite enjoy a good debate

I won't go on about the pros/cons of having a pagefile as I think I've made my case clear on that - Expert advice is yes you should have one and you should just let Windows manage it.

Quote:
I have made only one claim about SSD Lifespan, that more R/Ws will reduce it, you have not (and cannot) prove otherwise, its a simple fact of SSDs.
Yes, it's a fact about SSD's, but to use an analogy it's a bit like saying you should lose weight because extra weight will reduce the lifespan of the tires on your car. It's technically true, but it's such a trivial difference that it's inconsequential. As I said before, SSD endurance is measured in hundreds of TB's written (Or total drive writes per day over the warranty of a drive). A 500GB Samsung 970 has an endurance of 600TB written. That means you'd have to completely overwrite the drive 1200 times.

A pagefile doesn't write a ton of data when you've got plenty of RAM and if you do run out of RAM, the pagefile being on flash storage will mean a much faster and responsive system. It's win/win having the pagefile on an SSD and it's not going to kill your SSD any sooner than it's likely to die anyway.

I'll use my "Google expert" skills to link to yet more advice on this, straight from the horses mouth (Microsoft): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/arc...d-state-drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.
They go on to say...

Quote:
  • Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
  • Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
  • Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
In other words - most pagefile activity is reading (40x writes), which is grand for SSD's and doesn't reduce wear (unless you want to account for the fact that 100k reads will result in 1x write to "Refresh" that data).

When you do write to a pagefile, it's in large chunks (also good for SSD longevity) and measured in Megabytes. Given that SSD longevity is measured in Terabytes, hopefully you can begin to see why the "Pagefile reduces lifespan" argument is....largely moot.

Quote:
I have never mentioned defragging, so I have no idea why you are on about that.
...I was replying to pip...
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote