View Single Post
Old 30-06-2020, 05:00   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Windows Paging file question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
But yes, you need a pagefile and yes, you should put it on an SSD.
Thats your opinion, not fact

You do not need a paging file, nor does that article state otherwise.
It simply recommends you have one, as you may get better performance.
(It also allows kernel crash dumps, the loss of which is quite frankly of little importance to average users.)

I had a Win 7 PC, with 8GB of RAM, and no Page File quite happily running for 3+ years.
It had no memory heavy applications on it, mostly just used for browsing.
With 32GB of RAM, you would need to be using serious amounts of memory heavy software before you ever got near to needing one.

As to SSD, like I said, avoid if you can, if you only have ssd drives, its unavoidable.
It is a fact that constant R/W will shorten the SSD life, betting your data on the SSD outliving its write cycle limits is simply gambling.
The size of written data (TB's) not really that relevant, the number of write cycles is what counts. Dont do it unless you have to.

Of course, you can mitigate any eventual ssd failure with good backups, and keeping you data on a different drive to your OS & page file.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote