View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 22:56   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Windows Paging file question

Ugh. This argument again.

Let's clear a couple of things up.

1) Don't disable your page file. Just don't do it.

Even if you have 128GB of RAM, don't disable it. There's a ton of misinformation out there about this, but this is probably the most in-depth article about it from an authoritative source, if you want to get into the nitty gritty technical detail.

2) Don't move your pagefile off of an SSD onto a mechanical Hard Drive (Unless you have a tiny amount of RAM, in which case get more RAM). Aka DO put the pagefile on an SSD.

There's a ton more misinformation about this one. Yes it's true, SSDs have a finite lifespan and early SSDs especially were less reliable, but modern SSDs (even cheap ones) have a lifespan of hundreds of terabytes written before they wear out, akin to you writing hundreds of Gigabytes every day for years. Your SSD is most likely to die from simple age rather than use, even in heavy-use scenarios.

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-re...es-experience/

Your pagefile will cause a few small and frequent writes to it, but not enough to reduce the lifespan of the SSD itself by any significant margin. The drive controller is likely to fail due to age rather than the flash memory wearing out. However, the performance benefits are significant - an SSD is the perfect candidate for an SSD, as they're much more suited to those frequent smaller writes.

Given the topic here is "I have a load of RAM, do I need a pagefile" and the answer is "Yes, yes you do", then it also makes sense to throw that pagefile onto your SSD.

I don't know where this idea came from of Windows not "allowing it unless forced" came from, Windows will just naturally use your system drive by default. No idea what Taf is seeing, I'd love a screenshot.

But yes, you need a pagefile and yes, you should put it on an SSD.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote