View Single Post
Old 13-05-2008, 23:24   #17
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: channel lists for freesat & free sat from sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
OpenTV isn't Sky's. Far from it, its a Kudelski Group company (like Nagravision is).
Any company wanting to be part of Freesat will have to be on a transponder that recieves a feed of the data which provides the Freesat EPG etc. Not a major infrastructure change, but these steps are probably limiting the current number of channels on Freesat.

I think I'd rather have a Sky Freesat package at the moment, though even better I like the full Sky package I have now. I'm willing to pay for the channels I watch which tend to be the basic Sky ones.
Open is an American company if i remember correct, Sky pay them for using it.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
The Freesat box uses MHEG for interactive services, a similar implementation to Freeview. Sky uses OpenTV (which isn't, because it's theirs). The interactive services you get on Freesat should therefore be similar in look, feel and function to what you get on Freeview. This blog posting at the BBC is very interesting on this subject.

Fair comment that you can pick up a secondhand Sky box and not pay for any FreesatFromSky set up, but that still won't get you a full range of HD services and it doesn't guarantee you ongoing unencrypted access to its content ...

Another point, in the long term it should be easier for broadcasters to get on Freesat because it won't cost them an arm and a leg to get on the Freesat EPG, unlike Sky which makes a mint out of providing this 'service'.
? what do you mean by it doesn't guarantee you ongoing unencrypted access to its content ?

even if a channel isint in Sky's EPG you can still watch it by adding it manually. some of the channels that are testing atm include Shorts TV, Bubble Hits +1, Playout 24/7 & csoT. there are also a number of health club & in store radio stations that have been broadcasting for years but aint in the EPG. Cost Cutter's In Tune has been broadcasting this way for at least the last seven years, as has CNN Radio. so it seems unlikely that these radio stations will ever be in the EPG, but then their not intended for the general public.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote