Thread: UK Timeline [Merged] Ashes to Ashes
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 16:13   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Ashes To Ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
So why didn't he just say/show that, rather than leave it open to interpretation?
It's your interpretation that he left it open to interpretation. When they created the series they didn't believe they were creating a mystery. Another quote from MEN:

Quote:
To be honest with you, I was always slightly surprised that people thought there was a genuine mystery. To me, it was very obvious – he got hit by a car, the doctors and nurses were speaking to him over the radio and through the television and he was in a coma.
I think the explosion of speculation and interpretation is a function of the success of the programme and the cult success it achieved. Once that happens, the fans always like to think they have taken ownership of the story. Go join Outpost Gallifrey and sample some of the batty threads the Dr Who fans have going on over there if you want an extreme example of this phenomenon.

The Manchester Evening News blog, which contains the extended version of their interview with Michael Graham, is well worth a read if you haven't seen it:http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.c...e_answers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar
And the article also says -
"So is this the last we’ll see of Sam Tyler, happy in 1973 cop heaven?
Matthew’s not sure. “You shouldn’t write him off completely.
"You never know with Life On Mars.”
Indeed. And that's the beauty of it. Despite what the writers intended, they subsequently discovered that their conveyance of it within the story was sufficiently ambiguous for people to put other interpretations on it. Seeing as their intentions were not adequately pinned down in the story, they could very well do something with Ashes to Ashes that takes Sam's story in a direction that they didn't themselves originally plan.

Personally I don't think they will, and that final quote is probably just the author playing up to the mystique and the hype Life on Mars generated, but we'll have to wait and see.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote