View Single Post
Old 29-10-2017, 19:46   #3159
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Another idea as to what these services could be.

VM are to shortly give us targeted advertising from the Sky owned AdSmart. I wonder if these services are tests to check that this service is working properly??

https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

My thinking is that the system might treat each advert as a (very short) pop up channel and this could be why there are no channel names associated with them.
Adsmart is supposed to be seamless, switching between streams would have synchronisation problems and GOP problems, so hardly seamless. I don't think that advertisers would be very happy with viewers having to wait for the picture to "rebuild" every time an advert changed.

Quote:
Apparently, AdSmart could also be used as a method to insert local news etc.
That really depends on how Adsmart is configured. Hopefully, VM subscribers will be able to opt-out of targeted advertising.

Quote:
Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be available to M/Player customers though.
Or why they would be available to M Pack customers but not to Player Pack customers.

One of the guys maintaining the scanning db's raised a question. He wondered why 16 new services have been added to the SDT with only 1 of them making it to the NIT in specific regions. Maybe this is 16 different configurations of the same service, each configuration to be individually tested over time. I guess time will tell. Of course, VM could add the other 15 services to the NIT next week and blow that theory out of the water.

Last edited by jj20x; 29-10-2017 at 19:54.