View Single Post
Old 29-10-2017, 10:38   #3156
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Another idea as to what these services could be.

VM are to shortly give us targeted advertising from the Sky owned AdSmart. I wonder if these services are tests to check that this service is working properly??

https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

My thinking is that the system might treat each advert as a (very short) pop up channel and this could be why there are no channel names associated with them.

Apparently, AdSmart could also be used as a method to insert local news etc.

Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be available to M/Player customers though.
Sky boxes have no "upstream" connection except for the internet, so this may likely be the preferred method of delivery on Sky ( I cant see them leaving the NOW TV service out of this) & maybe VM. I also have a sneaky feeling that a small disc partition may appear on the boxes to store these for playout at the relevant times.

As far as M/Player customers, these channels are FTA & hence not strictly part of the Sky platform. Sky cannot interfere with output that is not theirs.

Last edited by nodrogd; 29-10-2017 at 10:41.