View Single Post
Old 28-10-2017, 18:47   #3155
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
You're welcome, my reply was a bit brief but I only had a few minutes to reply before going out.

Basically, the NIT analysis shows details of all networks except ex-NTL Langley regions. I was told a while ago that ex-NTL Langley details can also be made available. The NIT analysis is quite memory intensive with the number of calculations used for the 68 network data already available, so adding the extra networks would slow the whole process down at the moment.

Manchester data is already included in the analysis and, in any event, the digitalbitrate.com data for VM is for Manchester 3, even though it is listed as "Liverpool". Their scan data for TS ID 44 is available here: http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C059

I was reluctant to post any details revealed by the previous SDT analysis as it related to pack data and the details added were incomplete. A later scan shows that most of the "test" services now have pack flags for all packs except "Player". One of the tests still didn't have any pack flags added.

No further tests had been added to the NIT, so 15 of them remain SDT only. They still carried the entertainment flags and service mode 1 (which is "digital television service"). Bear in mind that VM also uses service mode 1 for EPG linked apps so that doesn't really give any clues.

So the test services remain a mystery.

In other news, an SDT linkage section has been added for SID 4406 VTV Kids. This allows the VTV Kids slot to promote individual kids channels. Currently showing "Tiny Pop". Check the EPG to see what else will be shown and when. (Mad Max probably won't bother doing this. )
Another idea as to what these services could be.

VM are to shortly give us targeted advertising from the Sky owned AdSmart. I wonder if these services are tests to check that this service is working properly??

https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

My thinking is that the system might treat each advert as a (very short) pop up channel and this could be why there are no channel names associated with them.

Apparently, AdSmart could also be used as a method to insert local news etc.

Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be available to M/Player customers though.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-10-2017 at 18:52. Reason: Added link.