Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2019, 09:39   #6270
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
An American English online dictionary without any discussion or etymology? No thanks ...

The Oxford English Dictionary says no, but seeing as it’s behind a paywall the closest we can get to its wisdom is sadly via a discussion of it at Wikipedia ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendum

In short, because it is coined in English as an English noun, and not according to its Latin usage, it should be pluralised according to English grammatical rules, not Latin ones. Hence referendums, not referenda.

Dictionary.com is simply recording the fact that the word is used in that way, not necessarily that it is correct to do so.

But we digress.
Final word is to be had by the formidable Betty Boothroyd

UK Politics: News Referendums or referenda?

Quote:
Latin or English? Singular or plural? The gerundive ... or not?

Speaker Betty Boothroyd was plunged on Wednesday morning into this thorny grammatical debate: is the plural of referendum "referendums" or "referenda"?

Tory MP and author Alan Clark pressed her to give a ruling, or at least a preference, on which MPs should use.

With murmurs of "it's the gerundive" from the Tory benches, Mr Clark (Kensington and Chelsea), encouraged the Speaker to "strike a blow for classical revivalism."

But Betty Boothroyd was not going to be drawn. It was, she said, "All a matter of taste".

The Speaker took the point of order with some humour

Mr Clark asked for the ruling during a debate on referendums. He said he was prompted to do so after remembering that in the past he had been called to order for "using the language of the common market."

His point was that he had "heard on many occasions colleagues refer to referendums - which is an exceedingly ugly term."

He wanted to know whether Madame Speaker would "prefer us to continue to use the Latin word, or whether you have no objection to the continued anglicisation of this term."

The Speaker's answer came swiftly. Although it was hardly a point of order, and more a matter of taste, she said:

"I do notice on the Public Bill List that the word referendums for Scotland and Wales is used there. The word referendum was first used in English 150 years ago, according to the Oxford English dictionary which I've just been able to refer to.

"So I imagine after 150 years the House will be quite used to it now. I think the plural is a matter of taste but I've always preferred the use of the English language to any Latin form if that is of some guidance."

And there - for the time being - the House let the matter rest.