View Single Post
Old 22-05-2020, 13:30   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Box on outside wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdude View Post
When we moved here, we had Sky installed. There is a BT box on the outside wall with the wiring through to the lounge to my "openreach" phone socket.
Close by, on the outside wall, is a 150mm by 120mm(approx) grey Cablerel junction box.
The cable feeds in from underground and one out cable goes straight through the 2all, into a phone socket like a BT one, but clearly marked " cable tel".
Another cable from the junction box Carrie's on along the outer wall, and through the wall into the lounge about 8 metres further on. This cable terminates in a small box with what looks like two small ports on the underside.
I would dearly like to know what it was/ is , if it can ever be utilised for anything, or safely removed?

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I've never seen this before. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oops, I'm a new member, probably should have introduced myself. Too late. I'm in Surrey by the way.
The cabletel box on your outside wall is an exterior omnibox that protects the cable connections necessary to provide cable TV, broadband and phone to your house. One combined phone/coaxial cable comes from the street cabinet, under your street, under your garden and then up your wall to the omnibox where it is then split as required. These days all cabletel infrastructure belongs to Virgin Media.

From the omnibox, the phone cable goes through your wall to the phone socket you have identified as 'cabletel' inside your house. If you buy phone service from Virgin Media, this is where you would plug your phone in.

Also from the omnibox, a coaxial cable is running round to your lounge, through the wall, and terminating at an interior omnibox. The two terminals on that box would connect to a set-top box for TV, and a modem/router for broadband internet.

In theory you're within your rights to remove all of this stuff if you have no intention of ever using it, but don't - it will make future installation of Virgin Media services much quicker and easier if you decide to have them. It is also possible to screw up your neighbours' TV and broadband if you do it badly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote