Thread: UK Timeline His Dark Materials
View Single Post
Old 27-12-2021, 13:36   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: His Dark Materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I've just found out my cousin is the editor for 2 episodes of Season 3 and he's just spent a month in Cardiff doing that.

Is this show any good, I may give it a go?
If you can imagine one of the classic children’s serials the BBC used to make in the 70s and 80s, but multiply the budget by about a million, you’ll get the idea. Philip Pullman (the author whose novels have been adapted for this series) was an English teacher, which helps explain the general tone and target age of the story. Pullman is also a mouth-frothing atheist with a major chip on his shoulder over the success of CS Lewis and his Chronicles of Narnia, which function at various points as Christian morality tales and occasionally outright allegory, and designed his own series as an attack on the institution of the Church (represented here, with all the subtlety of a house brick, as “the Magisterium”).

Despite this the story is actually very good and the adaptation has extremely high production values. The conversion from book to TV is better in season 1 than in season 2, which feels a little laboured at times, but in its defence, season 2 was heavily impacted by the first covid lockdown.

It is aimed squarely at a family audience but in a similar way to Doctor Who is. You don’t need to have kids in the room as an excuse to watch. I’d say it’s well worth a go - the whole lot is on iPlayer at the moment.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote